Thursday, March 12, 2009

Art Rag II

I picked up the two pieces from Kinkos last night, in the rain before class. I am sick so I am sure this colors my feelings, but this work which I was really, really liking isn’t working at this stage. I am bummed. But before you think there is a conclusion here, I will tell you this is a process, AND this is the moment of breakthrough. In real art for me there is a point of crisis, something goes haywire and needs to be fixed. You either press on and get it to work or give up. I usually press on, my nature, which is deeply embedded in my genes. The results most of the time is something I love and is better than it would have been had I had no crisis.

But facing the crisis is always, always yucky. I do this maybe I will never attempt mixed media per Photoshop again. Why did I spend the money to see if this would work? I have had this idea, one day I will put it on canvas instead of paper and I will love it, now it is a waste. And a waste of time and I have no mixed media direction. I should go back to bed.

Instead I went and got my drawing pencils and found the imperfections that the scanning process caused can be fixed with a pencil. I may or may not add color. I will go step by step and consult Scott my greatest and most trusted critic.

I need to get stretchers (Maybe I have some. I have quite a few from painting class, I need to look in the garage studio) I need to order a frame.

Something I did get from the gallery gawk on Saturday was when I looked at the mixed media pieces I thought the artist were very, very brave in their work. They really took chances with the media, subject and process. What held it together if it worked, some did, some didn’t, was design.

I want to be brave with my art. Brenda reminded me I was very, very brave with my writing. That helped me think maybe I have it in me.

Scott the critic just in.... "Mom it is the bomb."

We are discussing keeping the imperfections. We decided to reproduce the griding cause by the scan and pull it into the sky instead of correcting the imperfections. To do this I figure I can scan the part of the drawing with the grid on it and print it out. put graphite on the print out and rub it to the sky, subtly reproducing the effect. We think it will work.

It is so much fun to have an artist son.

No comments:

Post a Comment